Saturday, April 26, 2014

Time for Salted Caramel

I decided that it finally was time to step on the salted caramel bandwagon. It seems like everywhere you look people are making salted caramel everything - so I thought it was my turn, with a salted caramel frosting on a mocha brownie. For those that like Starbucks drinks - it's a dream come true.

I used a chocolate cupcake recipe and replaced some of the cocoa powder with a Starbucks Via Instant Iced Mocha Coffee packet. The cupcakes tasted like mocha, but there was no overwhelming coffee flavor for those of us who aren't fans (myself included).

The caramel frosting was really fun to make - I made a caramel sauce first and then beat powdered sugar into that. I ground some Pink Himalayan Sea Salt on top once everything was frosted. It dried hard (harder than a normal American buttercream) on the cupcakes though, so it's not necessarily something that I would want to frost an entire cake with (although maybe I would).

These were absolutely delicious and I would definitely make them again, especially the frosting. I actually still have some caramel sauce in my fridge (I had to make 2 batches of frosting and didn't need all of the second batch) - I should eat that soon.

I finally got the proper tip for piping!

Tray 1 of salty caramel-y goodness

Just look how gorgeous they are

So gorgeous :)

No comments:

Post a Comment